Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cepheid Yardstick Lab




1. Click on the image to make it larger. : )














2. The higher the apparent the magnitude, the shorter the period.
3. Between 15.70 and 15.9
4. -3.11| (5-5log(265) = -7.11, +4 = -3.11) = absolute magnitude of delta-Cephei
5. 60,534 parsecs. (15.8 - (-3.11) + 5 ) / 5 = 4.782, 10^4.782 = 60,534
6. It's only off by 500 parsecs.. haha. : D I'm sure I estimated poorly on the magnitude, and the other data could have variances, but it came close enough.


REFLECTION:

This applies to the current chapters because of the distance calculations, magnitude problems, and all that other good stuff. The "standard candle" thing is also an important concept to grasp, considering that they help determine the hardest to determine part of a star: the distance it is away from us. The math in the lab was mostly done for us, which was nice, but it did take me a few tries to sort out WHICH numbers to plug in. I wish the stars had more distinct names or something. I should have given them nicknames so I wouldn't get messed up.

1 comment:

  1. Get the apparent magnitude from YOUR graph with YOUR line of best fit?

    ReplyDelete

Search Blog